Product Reviews > Canoes > Old Town Canoe > Allagash 164 Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Allagash 164 Canoe by Old Town Canoe

Canoes Image Canoes Image Canoes Image
Select Canoe to View in Buyers' Guide

09-03-2014
Submitted by: TCFSend Email

I've owned this canoe for over 10 years. It has proven to be very stable and durable. It can carry an enormous amount of gear. I like that I can paddle solo by sitting in the bow seat and facing the stern. The canoe is balanced perfectly when I do that.

04-26-2009
Submitted by: JoshSend Email

I have owned an Old Town Allagash for four years now. A very smart looking canoe. Unfortunately, with absolutely no rocker whatsoever, this canoe wants to track a straight line and does not like to maneuver. Makes for difficult solo paddling, especially in wind. It's a bit sluggish on long trips, and quite heavy to portage (though durable). Good primary stability, but poor secondary stability. Perhaps a good canoe for a family or people who have trouble keeping a canoe going in a straight line.

01-16-2008
Submitted by: JASSend Email

I have owned 5 canoes now and out of all of them, it is the best overall.
It has good speed, is very stable, and I have hit many rocks without any damage. By far the best canoe for its price.

07-20-2007
Submitted by: EKMSend Email

Haven't owned a canoe before the Allagash 164, but spent many a summer out on a lake in BC canoeing with a close friend when I was a kid. So buying one now, some 25 years later was well, tough! But I settled on the Allagash and am very happy. My son and I took it out on Potholes Lake for several miles and it really performed very nicely! The wind didn't bother us too much unless trying to sit still (then we just drifted away) and the wake of speed boats didn't matter either.

On smaller lakes it's a dream and we were finding our selves dumping it in every little pond we could find to do a little fishing :)

Medium lakes with lots of wind weren't much of a problem either and going solo in this canoe just seems 'right'. I'd like to get another actually, but I see they may not make this model anymore.

08-26-2005

I think the Allagash 164 is the perfect family canoe it moves through the water with such grace. This canoe is very easy to paddle. It felt a little tippy when I took it out for my first time but I got used to it.

06-05-2005
Submitted by: KellySend Email

We put the Polylink 3 to the test this weekend when we returned from canoeing and were unloading the canoe from atop our SUV. While the Allagash is only 75 lbs., it still is hard for me, a 5'5" female to lift it overhead. Unfortunately, while unloading, it slipped out of my hand and I dropped my end of the canoe from about 5 feet smack onto a cement driveway. Horrified that I had ruined our new, not-so-cheap canoe we quickly inspected it to find a 3" heavy scuff, but thank goodness no cracks. Whew! I know I will never sail into a rock that hard while paddling on lakes (even very large ones), so I trust my "Allacrash" (dubbed for my clumsiness) to stay as strong in the water as it did on the concrete. I can imagine the damage that blow would have done to a fiberglass canoe.

We found the Allagash 164 to feel solid in the water, easy to steer, easy to track with two paddlers, and the size was perfect for two adults and two wiggly kids. My husband even gave it the tip test after the rest of us had unloaded on the shore. He went out a few feet, stood up, and rocked back and forth trying to see how far he could push it. We were amazed at the canoe's stability and resistance to tipping completely.

What a fantastic canoe! I love it!

10-10-2004
Submitted by: WolfSend Email

I have owned and used my Allagash for just one season! However, we have been on many adventures from back country camping to some mild white water. Even in rough water, with a load (I always over pack) this boat has been incredible.

07-26-2004
Submitted by: mSend Email

Excellent family canoe. Can haul a big load of people or gear. Doesn't catch the wind too badly.

04-30-2003

I really like my Allagash. It does not feel tippy, and it is great for paddling solos. Good Friend and Canoe Guru D.McR... has tried mine out and pronounced it the " perfect solo canoe". This from a man with five 69's and a Penobscot in his fleet.

10-07-2002

This boat is alright, it's a penobscot little wider, more stable and with a tiny bit of rocker. Would do great on slow moving rivers, maybe class I or II.