Product Reviews > Kayaks > Epic Kayaks, Inc. > Endurance 18 Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Endurance 18 Kayak by Epic Kayaks, Inc.

Rated: 8.8/10 Based On: 20 Reviews

Endurance 18 Kayak by Epic Kayaks, Inc.

Length: 18' 0" - Width: 22.00" - Starting at: $3395.00
See More Details about this Kayak
Epic Kayaks, Inc. Logo

01-24-2011
Submitted by: DKSend Email

I bought a used fiberglass Endurance 3 years ago to race in the USCA Sea Kayak class. It has been a great kayak and I have not experienced of the quality problems that others have experienced. I've had no problems with the fiberglass or the rudder system. I actually like the Sealine rudder system on the Endurance better than the new rudder systems on the 18X because it kicks up and seems to have more bite when turning. The endurance is more stable than I expected and handles wind and waves well. I own a Capella RM 166 that I tried to race in the USCA sea kayak class, but quickly learned that you cannot compete with the 18' racing kayaks.

07-22-2009

My Epic 18 Endurance is a 2003 fiberglass boat I purchased 2 years ago to start racing in USCA Sea Kayak class. One reviewer described the boat as ugly, but I think it's one of the prettiest sea kayaks out there - I suppose it's all in the eye of the beholder! At any rate, I really have to divide my review of the boat into two parts - quality and performance.

On the performance side of the equation, I don't think you can find a better overall sea kayak. It's fast, efficient, sprightly, tracks well, turns well, and is quite comfortable for long hauls. It's easy to surf wakes and waves, and always feels comfortably stable, exhibiting great secondary stability. It lean turns superbly for such a long boat, and with the rudder you can really whip it around. I like the Sealine rudder system - the boat responds almost instantly to rudder input, and it's easy to adjust and use. Overall, the boat feels like a sports car to me.

As to quality, this boat leaves a lot to be desired. The gentlemen who owned the boat before me was a fanatic about protecting and caring for his boats, and I've always stored my boat indoors and taken good care of it. Nevertheless, the gelcoat has spider cracks all over the place and the seam tape is coming off. I've also had to replace the Sealine rudder pedal system in the cockpit area - the original pedal adjustment housing was plastic, and cracked. The new housing is aluminum, and appears to be very durable. The hull is soft, and I have some indentations in the hull from where the boat rides on the saddles on my rack. I believe mine is somewhat heavier than listed as well. On the plus side, my hatches are easy to use and seal pretty well. One stays completely dry, while the other will leak a little.

In spite of the quality irritants, I really like the boat. I bought a QCC 700XL last year, intending to replace the Epic 18 Endurance with 700XL, a much higher-quality, made in the USA boat. As it turned out, I sold the QCC and kept the Epic. The QCC was beautifully made and very solid, but it had a "big boat" feel compared to the sprightly feel of the Epic, plus it was slower (GPS confirmed numerous times over the same course) and less comfortable (part of that was the after market back band, but I didn't like the seat as well either). Looking at the two boats side by side they looked pretty similar, but a close examination shows the Epic possesses a sharper entry on the bow and exit at the stern, along with some other subtle differences that add up in the water.

I've since moved into a Thunderbolt for racing and rarely paddle the Epic anymore, except in winter, but I've loaned it out to a friend's son to get him started into USCA marathon racing, and he loves it as well.

A great boat, with a few caveats.

07-20-2009
Submitted by: JCCSend Email

I have had my Epic 18 since 2006. I got it as a demo at the end of the season, and while I would have preferred carbon fiber, the price was right on the glass version and it only weighs 47 lbs anyway. Now I am glad I have ght glass boat because I don't have any of the QC problems people have written about with their carbon boats. Despite the fact that the boat is stored outdoors until ice-over, the gelcoat is fine. The seat is suspended from the coaming and does not have much underneath it. but there re no cracks etc. The backband was uncomfortable, but I solved that problem by re-installing it upside down and putting a better strap on it.

The bungee cords on the back deck are useless for a paddle float rescue, however, and need to be replaced by solid lines if you are going to use that technique. That said, the boat rolls easily and if I trashed out of the boat, my first self rescue would be a re-entry and roll followed, if needed by a paddle float re-entry and roll. There is plenty of storage for longer trips, and while I can get about a sponge full of water into the hatches, this amount is not dangerous. Critical gear that cannot get wet should be in drybags no matter how much you trust your hatches anyway.

I only use the rudder when the wind is on the beam or further aft. Any other time, the extra drag is not worth it. That is also why I wouldn't install a longer rudder. On a steep following sea, it will wander a bit until the rudder bites, but that's what your paddle is for.

My question is about the speed this boat is famous for. I also paddle a Mariner II and a Betsie Bay Recluse. On a measured course with the same paddler (me) and the same paddle, the Epic is not much faster, if at all than these others. Maybe that's because I am 63 years old and can't push any of these boats that fast. I can do about 7.5 knots over my 2 mile course, and all 3 boats are within seconds of each other.

07-09-2009
Submitted by: CJWSend Email

I've had my Endurance for 3 years. I've replaced or repaired extensively the smartrack steering system, the cancer in the hull, the deck webbing, the rudder pin, the seat, the knee pad rubber, the combing around the seat lip on the boat, the leaking rear hatch, the crack in the join between top and bottom moulds, the taped over missing piece of the deck under the seat lip. My paddle buddies laugh when they see me coming. They're anticipating another "what went wrong this time" story. My local repair shop laughs too, they see the $$$ I've spent trying to keep a few years old boat on the water. I've never taken it in surf. We're thinking of skuttling it as a dive wreck.

There's no excuse for crap like this in 2009. I took it back after 3 months because the seat had worn through the hull. The Sydney distributors at that time told me it was my fault. Sorry for sitting in the boat. I've watched Freyer Haufmeister struggle with her, specially prepared Endurance too:

So, what is it about making a kayak that's so difficult. And how come she's testing new fittings paddling around Australia? I thought that would happen in the LAB.

When I ask around people always talk about the factory burning down, the Chinese factory problem and stuff. Hey guys, that's not our problem... If people deliver a product and don't stand by it, that's not what Sea kayaking is about, is it? I like the design but the company owners ought to be held accountable for this abysmal quality.

07-05-2007

Addendum.
I still love the boat, but a word to all owners of kayaks with plastic seats as my Epic has: Your seat may be suspended from the coaming with nothing but little foam pads underneath to support the seat. The little pads under my seat went to foam heaven. Ultimately the seat began to fracture. Luckily, the coaming didn't crack.
I fixed the seat first by spraying foam insulation underneath and then fiberglassing the cracks in the seat. I should have sprayed foam months ago.
I could have fixed a detached coaming, but I'd rather fix the seat.

02-13-2007

FAST but ugly, turns GREAT. Great boat, just hate the looks AND it has NO personality. Still a 10 'cause it's so fast yet turns so well. Wow...

12-04-2006

I have had my Epic Carbon for 2 years and have more than pleased.I have spent alot of time in this boat both fitness paddling and racing Every race I went to someone always wanted to check it out! It is a very stable boat to be as fast as it is. Yes the new 18x is a bit faster but the workmanship is not as good since they moved to China. I think this is a first class boat and when I`m in it I feel I have a chance to win and also will be able to handle any conditions.

07-28-2006
Submitted by: jeffrey wongSend Email

I have owned my Epic 18 for 1 yr and have put in several hundred miles, fitness paddling, technique paddling and racing. I bought it because I needed (wanted) a boat that I could EASILY cartop. My 18 came in near its advertised weight. In carbon/kevlar it weighs 37 lb. Most other boats exceed 45 lb. You might consider cartopping a 45-50 lb boat a luxury compared to some of those 60 pounders, but try lifting 50 lb after a race or hard workout.

I liked the finish of the boat, black with red on the bow and stern. Perimeter lines felt a bit thin, but adequate. I found the add'l bungee cords aft of the rear hatch very convenient. I couldn't grasp the small diameter bungee cords wearing neoprene gloves-I added a knotted loop of cord to each bungee to correct that. For carrying the boat, I like the suitcase style grips far foar more than grab loops/plastic handles on other boats.

I found the cockpit an excellent fit and the padding adequate. My size 11.5 feet fit with Teva sandals & kayaking booties, but not with the bigger Keen Newport sandals. The footpedal system works, though it did break. Cascade Designs responded promptly and replaced the unit. I have since improved my technique a bit and stress the braces less. I have had to re-glue the knee pads on both sides. Rumors of Epic moving production to China may improve quality. The seatback adjustment system seems excessive with plastic ratchets, maybe useful or just Rube Goldberg. The stainless bolts have moderate rust. Water leaked in at the cleat holding the rudder up/down line. Rubber ring washers fixed that. Periodically, the nylock nuts & bolts holding the seat/backrest unscrew themselves. I had to restitch the webbing hardware for the hatches.

I found the 18 to have exceptional primary and secondary stability but that might come from my having used it for so long as well as having paddled a Seda Impulse for two years. The Impulse has a narrower and rounder hull. The 18 turns well on edge, but you have to sweep the paddle blade from the bow out and back to the stern. The lack of much keel mandates a rudder for tracking. I have had the 18 surfing windwaves and swell up to 1.5 feet--the boat generally does well but will broach with following seas when the rudder clears the water.

The Boat rolls well empty. I have never loaded the boat with more than 10 lb of gear. A low cockpit at the rear enables layback rolls. Some water found its way into the rear compartment after rolling--it leaks either from the hatch cover, the bolts/nuts holding the decklines/bungees or the bulkhead. Both bulkheads have very small ventilating tubes.

As for speed, I haven't paddled a faster boat. A very accomplished paddler friend of mine prefers it to his Seda Glider. My paddling has improved, but I still haven't taken a gps aboard.

Overall, the boat wins my vote for best boat for lightness, speed, handling, stability, fit, footbrace/rudder system. the boat loses a point for quality control.

05-30-2006
Submitted by: JGSSend Email

Bought one used September 05. I use it as a work-out boat and plan to use it for endurance racing. For what I've seen so far, it can handle 3 feet waves/surf very well. Good initial stability and responds well to lean for turning. Tracks decently in calm conditions but I believe it has been designed to be used with a rudder in all but calm conditions. This is certainly my experience with it. As most boats, it weathercocks but the rudder corrects that easily. I give it a 9 because the fit and trim is not excellent. I own also a Boreal Ellesmere and there is no comparison using the Boreal as the benchmark for quality. Bungees are loose, hatches are not 100% leak proof, stock backrest was poor, thigh brace padding is ungluing. I did the upgrade to the new backrest. Much better. The Sealine Smartrudder is not robust and I replaced it with a Feathercraft rudder. Retrofit was easy. There may be increased drag however. Overall very pleased with the boat for its intended use. Despite quality issues, I consider it good value given the price for a combo carb/kevlar boat. I recommend it.

12-15-2005

Been out in my new carbon 18 and absolutely love it. I'm a novice. So you ask, what the hell is a novice doing with this boat? I'm over 55, but paddled when I was a kid, have raced all manner of sailboats my entire life and have an appreciation of well designed and executed watercraft. One fundamental premise that has always guided my selection of boats has been that a boat has to look right. This black beauty is drop dead sexy. At least it is after I removed all those hideous Epic stickers.

I'm learning the boat and found it to be quite forgiving. Glides through the water effortlessly and provides some great workouts. Rudder system works well but I can see why some suggest larger blade.

09-01-2005

I recently purchased a carbon Epic 18 and wanted to pass along my early impressions. I am an intermediate paddler, 44 years old, 155 lbs, 5'5", and am coming from a 14 foot rotomolded boat. I wanted to get a boat that I would not grow out of, had good speed, and handled Lake Michigan's waves well. I tried a bunch of kayaks and this fit my needs and my body best. I immediately felt comfortable in the boat. I don't think I am capable of getting anything close to the speed this boat is capable of, but it is really fast. My first real outing was for 2 hours in 1-3 foot waves. I felt comfortable after a half hour or so. I also took it out in some larger breaking waves yesterday. While I did not stay out long, it felt controllable the whole time even when I ended up broadside to the waves (my fault!).

One thing that did surprise me is how easy this 18 foot boat is to steer with my hips. I imagine it has something to do with the rounded bottom and light weight. I really love the rudder pedals. The foot braces are solid and the rudder pedal is actuated with your toes. I found this easy barefoot and with booties. It would be tough if you use rigid soled shows, though. It also seems that they must have listened to folks on this forum as they now use a firm, narrow back band that seems to work well although it takes awhile to get it adjusted properly. The only thing I don't like so far is the black color. On a big lake the boat is nearly invisible. It looks fantastic, but I am in the process of adding some 3M reflective tape. It seems like a shame to to it, but getting hit by a boat seems worse!

02-16-2005

This boat excels at flats or downweather (and upweather). It accelerates quickly, maintains speeds over 6mph for workouts. The hull surfs wonderfully, and offers excellent stability. This boat should be easily handled by a reasonably skilled paddler. The one handling problem is in crosswinds on flat water - pretty heavy weathercocking in > 15 knot beam winds. Also, the footpegs and rudder pedals are a bit tough to use, the cockpit should be a bit longer to allow more leg motion during paddling stroke. (I'm 6'3" 225lbs). The rudder system is why I knocked this review down to 9.

Construction is fine, with a tight front hatch, reasonable rear hatch. The rest of the boat is nicely built and put together.

Overall, a top performer with excellent speeds, stability, reasonable comfort, and durability. A sea kayak (USCA definition of sea kayak) that just can't be beat by anything in its class.

12-27-2004

I have owned a carbon-fiber Endurance 18 for about 6 months and I have found it to be a joy to paddle. It is very fast, stable and handles rough water better than any other boat that I have owned, including my Current Designs Squall. I am amazed at how easy it is to turn, especially when compared to the somewhat shorter Squall. The black hull, with red markings at the bow and stern, is very attractive and frequently generates compliments from other paddlers. At 39 pounds the Endurance is easy to carry around and cartop. The only modifications that I have made to it are a Yakpad for the plastic bucket seat and a wider and longer rudder blade (SmartTrack's "Tandem Blade") to improve tracking in following seas. I recommend this boat to anyone who has a "need for speed" on the water.

09-29-2004

I have owned an early 02 model for 2 seasons now. Prior boat was a Seda Glider. My other boat is a 1990 CD Solstice SS. Quality is weak. Particularly the cockpit combing which has cracked twice on this boat. The boat moves as well as the Glider and is much more comfortable in confused chop. It surfs downwind better than any others I've paddled - including the QCC 700 which is similar but NOT THE SAME. Epic has the edge in the design area but QCC has it in the Quality control. I will say that I've managed to fracture both peddle height adjusting boards and both of the original Smart Track rudder systems. This particular hull has won the Blackburn with G reg Barton paddling it and then passed on to another racer and then to me and I race it. I suspect we are all tough on the boats.

The service from the people at EPIC and Cascade Design (Smart Track mfgr) has been EXCELLENT - Thank you GB. I want one of the new black boats but don't want to buy it from our local dealer who has no use for racers. It's the one boat you can use as a daily paddler and as a weekend racer that gives you a decent shot in the touring sea kayak class - EFT's and Nelo Razor "cheater" boats not withstanding.

08-02-2004

I paddled an Epic full carbon (no gelcoat) boat today. First thing is I was very comfy in it and I have big thighs. No extra room but I was comfy. Second thing: it is fast.. third thing I found it quite stable. Note: I only paddled in on flat water in about 15 knot gusts) I did play on the edge quite a bit, and found it easy to work there.

Carved turns surprisingly well but the rudder was a big help in the wind. Once turning had started the boat wanted to keep turning even when brought back to an even keel. This boat was easier to turn for me than the CD caribou but did not stop turning as crisply, or track as well. If I get this boat I will get a rudder and the trim tab adjustment and use it exclusively. I also need to raise the pedal height but that is down to me not Epic. I wonder if I could get the trim tab and leave the toe pilots out ( I know it is not standard design but... I will paddle this boat soon in conditions, and if I decide I need a fast sit in boat it's likely to be purchased.

Seat back is quite sad but what do you expect. It is way too tall and way to flimsy. I doubt that seat backs are a big concern of Greg or Oscar. The boat rolled OK but did not pop up like the romany explorer does (few boats do.) Weathercocking was noticable but not outrageous. The reason I would get a rudder is because of the boats tendancy to keep turning. I was very pleased with the lack of drag fron the sealline rudder.

Overall, I was quite pleased, and very pleasantly surprised at the boats ability to carve I weigh 225 have snort legs and have been working at improving my paddling skills for about 4 years three of them year round.

05-26-2004

Well, I have owned my Epic 18 for @ 1 month. I paddle a lot. It's amazing that I find the time to actually work, bring home the bacon and stay in good enough graces with my wife. She actually says "go paddle". Am I lucky or what!? On my second sprint in my Epic, I paddled to 9.3 m.p.h.(garmin etrex legend, G.P.S.). That's pretty good! I think I may have another .5 m.p.h. in me, we'll see. Greg Barton's partner, Oscar, said he's paddled the Epic to over 11 m.p.h.!( I'm not worthy). That's fast! I have owned five boats to date. Before I bought this boat I talked with the gang from Epic, six of their bruisers anyway, all of which I thought were very knowledgeable and a delight to get to know and work with. Their interest in my satisfaction was astounding. These guys really actually care about you and me, the paddler, and it shows. Further, you know both Oscar and Greg have done pretty well racing boats. The fact that these two guys would actually help and get involved the way they do is humbling to me... and I dug it. Anyway, I also own a 19.4 ft. kevlar Necky Looksha 3( a very fast boat). The fastest I am able to paddle my skinny tippy Necky is 8.5 m.p.h. I've owned the Necky for almost one year. I have sprinted the Necky a lot. My Necky is 20.5 inches wide and is stable enough until you find yourself in 2 to 3 foot confused, wind driven, tight, steep chop. Then you'll decide it's time to practice your bracing skills. Not so with the Epic. It's battleship stable. I'm not making this up. Two weeks ago I was at St. Joe's Peninsula, west coast of Florida. The wind was blowing to over 30 m.p.h.( I have a wind speed indicator). The waves in the bay were big. The waves were not rolling swells but four foot white capping river chop. In the trough you couldn't see over the next on coming wave! That's the biggest/roughest conditions I've been in. My ride out was relatively dry. Bracing was something I thought about. In the Florida Bay, while paddling my Necky, last spring in lesser conditions I did more than think about bracing. (I wore strawberries so bad on my knees that my paddling buddy teased me about it for the whole kayak camping trip. He told all in the kayak club, we both belong to, about my paddling skills or lack thereof.) Anyway, my Epic was confidence inspiring. My only real thought paddling back to shore was to try not to get there too fast. The boat is a wind wave surfing machine. I had time to sit there in this fast steep chop and wait for the occasional bigger sets to come in. So, my "new" Epic is up for sale on the Paddling.Net web site and I've ordered another new Epic in carbon. I am in the construction business. I take quality and" fit and finish" to a new appreciation. Things other people would never ever see, I see, and it drives me crazy if things are not right. ( Well my wife has several words for this trait of mine but I can't say them in this public forum.) My Epic's combing is too fragile and if I use it to push off of I hear a very upsetting cracking noise. Maybe there is a weight limit on push offs and my 210 pounds exceeds that limit? I believe there should be additional material placed in the combing. The gel coat work I'm sure was done at night, and to save money the lights were left off. Both my hatches and bulkheads leak. But I, the quality freak, ordered another Epic. You know sometimes ugly women aren't ugly and once you get to know them they some how end up being not only your favorite but also the most beautiful of women. (Sorry if I have insulted any women reading this. I'm just trying to make a point. Please forgive me.) Well anyway that's what happened to me and my boat. Back to the Epic, the seat makes my feet go to sleep and the back band is not comfortable, ouch! The good, no, great news is that Epic has now hired a first rate quality control manager, Mr. Greg Matthews. Greg Barton said their goal at Epic is to build a high quality boat second to none. Now they're talking! If Epic did/does that, even the british boat owners(rudderless) would buy Epics, imagine that, quite a thought. Anyway, if you're curious about the Epic go buy the June, 2004 Sea Kayaker magazine. The magizine's reviewer wrote an article on the Epic 18 and you'd swear, but don't, that they're on the Epic payroll. The best batch of Epic 18's, to date, are currently being built! My name is on their list to buy a new 39 pound carbon Smarttrack ruddered Epic 18 (I would probably keep my current Epic except I'm getting old and the Hull Raisers/racks on my Ford Truck are over seven feet tall. Every pound counts, except for those associated with my waist-line). Ending, I can't wait for my new boat to come in. If by chance you see me on the water, stop me and ask to paddle my Epic. I'll say yes, you'll paddle the boat, you'll sell your boat, you'll buy an Epic and then, you too will look back over your shoulder and wonder why your normally very fast paddling buddies are now going so dang slow. Good Paddling. Enjoy the sport and enjoy your life....it's the only one you have! Franklin Dickinson - FSKA.org member

05-03-2004

This boat is fast on flat water, surfs well, and is quite stable. This is a very fast sea kayak. For moving fast on sheltered water, this is a definite short list boat. When a clubmate heard the times I've turned in with this boat - well.. He wants to change the club rules to essentially put it into the racing class with ICF and Westside boats.

Hatches are well secured, and have not leaked noticeably in 2-3 ft seas.

I'm 230lb, 6'3", and find the cockpit to be a bit snug, but comfortable enough. The boat is stable enough to adjust the foot pedals in chop sitting on 1" thick padding added to the seat.

09-04-2003
Submitted by: BillSend Email

I looked at this boat - and looked away. It was cheap, is very obviously fast, and looks great ... but ... It needs a lots of attention to quality - the gel coat had bubbles and many other imperfections, and teh buklheads simply didn't look sealed at all. Compared to boats at simliar prices made in Australia and New Zealand, it looked like a backyard job. Hatch design wouldn't keep water out - nice and flush, but it's easy to see even a small chop finding its way in, let alone rolling. I passed, went home and ordered a Mirage 530 in glass and kevlar.

08-04-2003

I have been paddling an endurance Touring 18' and it was everything I expected, however both bulkheads had to be replaced with miniseal bulkheads that will hold the seal. A high end boat should have bulkheads that are glassed in. I have notified Greg Barton.

09-09-2002

Iíve paddled the CD Caribou, Necky Looksha II, and Ndk Romany, along with other kayaks through the years. I have been looking for a fast kayak (with rudder) that is fun to surf and race occasionally. I was lucky enough to get one of Epicís new boats this summer. It is fast, maneuverable, and surfs wind waves like a demon.

Paddling into the wind the bow cuts through the wave. When the nose comes down, it slices very nicely through the forward wave, which aids in steering. Paddling with the wind. The knife bow aids in steering and the flat mid section hull planes very nicely. The rudder system steers beautifully. On some waves the kayak had a tendency to broach when the rudder was out of the water. Paddling 3/4 to the wind. The large bow has a slight disadvantage here, but weather cocking was easily corrected with the rudder.

Initial stability and secondary stability are better than the looksha 2. I am surprised that a boat this fast could feel this stable. Weight is an issue, as my boat definitely weighed in at more than 41 lbs. My Looksha was actually lighter.

Quality of construction I am told is being improved. The hatches leaked and needed work. I canít give the Endurance a 10, because of the hatches, but performance is where this kayak outshines the others Iíve paddled. Best paddling to all. A great boat for those looking for boat with a rudder and a fast touring model.