Product Reviews > Kayaks > Dagger > Honcho Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Honcho Kayak by Dagger

Rated: 8.5/10 Based On: 4 Reviews

07-31-2009
Submitted by: pasSend Email

I've had my Honcho for over 5 years now and the only thing I find it lacking is volume for picking up swimmers (and stopping a back loop in grade 5 (uk grade 5) falls. I'm 6'2" and 200 pounds and all I needed was some hip pads and a lump to slide me forward in the seat (I find that Dagger seats cut off the circulation in my legs if I'm all the way back in the seat). I've done most things from flat water trips to big grade WW and it is a star. I've now got to find a replacement as its just got a slice in the hull from the french alps :O(

10-28-2002
Submitted by: Justin

Iím 6'2' about 235lbs and ďblessedĒ with size 14EE feet. I have a 22Ē torso and a 35Ē inseam. The Honcho is the first whitewater / playboat that Iíve ever been reasonably comfortable in. (I did modify the front pillar a bit to make heel room, but I require no foot-bumps.)

I've had my Honcho for a little over a year. This is my first whitewater boat and Iím glad I didnít get a lesser craft. This is a great beginner / intermediate boat, it surfs moderately well, it plays well considering its size and volume and handles extremely well in bigger water. Iíd say if you are a big guy looking for a boat that will take you a while to outgrow, then go for the Honcho.

10-15-2002
Submitted by: G. BaldwinSend Email

I had the opportunity to use a Honcho at the NOC kayak school. I am 5'11", weigh 218# and have a 34" inseam and size 10 feet. Like at Yoga, my feet were sole-to-sole with little wiggle room,and my knees were pressed against the side of the kayak. I would have paid ransom for some padding! Also, I thought the seat connection was chintzy and the Bomber Gear backband was unsupportive. If someone got this boat, some serious retrofitting might be in order. That being said, I liked the performance of the kayak. It edged nicely, turned quickly and responded well. Had a tendency to pearl a bit if I was paddling faster. But, all in all, I liked the boat enough to be tempted to buy it off NOC even though it was "well worn" from a season of classes. My recommendation is: get in it and see if you can get comfortable. If so, I honestly think you would like it!

09-04-2002

At over 6'4" and 200 lbs, I always thought anything even resembling a playboat was out of my league. Man, was I wrong! I love everything about this boat. She surfs like a charm, pearls a lot less than you'd expect, and can turn on a dime. The hard edges and secondary stability really help with control. All this without comprimising hardly any down-river ability (save a low hull speed). I would recommend this true hybrid to experienced paddlers who want the best of both worlds in one boat, as well as to novices who want a boat they won't outgrow in 3 months. (If ever!)

Zoar Outdoor
Free Shipping on all New Kayaks!
Rendezvous River Sports