Product Reviews > Canoes > Sawyer > Champ2 Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Champ2 Canoe by Sawyer

Canoes
Research Canoes in the Buyers' Guide!

Select Canoe to View in Buyers' Guide

11-07-2012

I paddled the Champ II several times during the 1970's. It was not designed by David Yost; this was a Lynn Tuttle boat, designed to compete with the Jensen Comp Cruiser. Lynn was the coach for the St. Charles Canoe Club and a noted canoe designer. I thought it was a very good boat but never as good as my Jensen.

01-06-2009

Love this canoe. I bought it used last spring. Mine is a 1977 ultra light kevlar. One of the sliding seats was missing in the stern. I added a caned seat in the stern and also moved the center gunnel back a little to add another seat in the center. Handles very well as a solo.

Also have a Wenonah Advantage Solo and prefer the longer and much more stable Saywer for solo paddling. I also tested this out on Lake Charlevoix with my homemade cover in heavy winds and 3-4 waves. Hard paddling for sure but handled amazingly well. Without flotation in the bow and stern the kevlar flexed in and tended to cut into the waves. On a second trip out I added a life vest stuffed in the bow and that did the trick. Bow rose up more when hitting the waves head on. Took them broad side without feeling like I was going in and had lots of fun surfing back to shore.

The canoe is light enough carry on my own and is really nice for car topping. If I run across another one, I'll have a hard time not picking up an extra one!

06-03-2008
Submitted by: JohannSend Email

I've owned my Champ2 for over 10 years and though in it's goldenglass layout is over 55lbs. it can still cover lots of water very swiftly. It's stable and it's adjustable tractor seats and foot brace enable a great latitude of paddler weights. Dave Yost designed a great one in the Champ2. What I wouldn't give for a duplicate in ultra-lite kevlar or carbon for the long portages in Boundary Waters...

09-02-2002

The Sawyer Champ2 is a fast, easy paddling canoe. For it's long length this beauty handles well even as a solo. The Champ2 tracks great and is a real pleasure to paddle with good travel per stroke. If you ever get a chance to try one...do it !! Then you'll start to look for a Sawyer Champ2 for yourself.