Submitted: 03-07-2006 by JKO

I paid $384. The closest comparable boats were either the Ocean Kayak Drifter or Prowler at ~$770. Considering the cost difference the Pelican is hard to pass up. I found the kayak to be extremely stable, I can easily stand in it in calm water. The front central rod holder is very nice, albiet a little too far forward to easily reach. The adjustable footrests, in my opinion, beat the heck out of the molded in style.

The front hatch definitely needs some help with its waterproofing, but should be an easy fix with trunk gasket material. The paddle is a little too short. For me the short paddle resulted in lots of drip inside the boat, and a couple of banged knuckles. I will definitely be purchasing a better paddle.

The weight (62 lbs.) is a little heavy considering the competition (Ocean Kayak) is around 55lbs. Also, considering the size of the kayak it has only an average max capacity of 350 lbs. considering the OK Drifter can pack a hefty 450lbs. in a lighter boat.

My suggestions to Pelican: I would rather have an upgraded seat or better seals on the front storage than the included paddle.

Bottom line for me: I can live with the compromises of weight, capacity, and design considering the price vs. the competition. As far as I am concerned I got 80%+ of the performance of a Drifter or Prowler for 50% of the cost.