Submitted: 09-26-2005 by jdrkayaker

My wife and I purchased Poly Tempests in 2004 (I have the 170). I am 6'1" and 180 lbs. In the last year we've had the boats out close to 50 times in everything from flat water to 2-3 waves and up to 20-25 mph winds. The boats are stable, handle waves well, turn easily, are easy to roll, and are well equipped. I do notice that my 170 does weathercock a bit in a wind, but that's easily compensated for by using the skeg. We've had no problems with water getting the hatches, even after 20-30 rolls. You just need to make sure that the hatches are properly secured. We can easily carry enough gear for a week long trip. The Tempest is reasonable fast, and we've never been the boat anchor on any of our trips with friends. On the whole, we are very happy with the boats and I would recommend them to anyone. I didn't give the Tempest 170 a 10 because I've been in boats that don't weathercock as much, weigh less, and I don't believe in perfect boats.

NRS: