Submitted: 09-14-2005 by Gail
I purchased my Old Town Discovery 119, used from a woman who did WW. She claimed to have even gone over a 4' fall with it. I didn't plan on using it for WW. Just something to bob around on the water in. I've had 4 other canoes and a kayak in the past, but sold all over the years I was raising a family. Time to get another one...and this came up. As others mentioned, I found it tippy and the first canoe that I ever tipped over in. Disappointed....for a while.

Then I made a rowing outrigger for it (I've done so on all my canoes) and discovered I had a very versatile boat. For years, I've been rowing it on lakes and rivers, even some class II. Not satisfied with just rowing, I decided to try sailing it. Thus began a modification project that turned out better than I expected. YES, I SAIL A Discovery 119!

Like anything, it has its limitations. There isn't any one boat or car, or anything that can do everything, so you just have to learn to live with its limitations. I continually go with others in their kayaks down rivers. It may be a bit slower than a kayak, but the comfort is greater, you can get in and out easier and carry much more equipment. The 'freeboard' is a bit high thus creating a bit of wind resistance. I've been thinking about drilling out the rivets that hold the gunwales on and cutting down the sides a few inches and then reinstalling the gunwales. Will lessen the effect the wind has in it, but also lessen the carrying capacity. I did make a spray skirt for the 'front', which is held on with strips of stick on velcro just under the gunwale. Makes for drier runs in WW.

All in all, I 'discovered' that the Discovery 119 is a good all round boat that I've probably had more fun in than all the others I've had, combined.