Submitted: 09-05-2005 by Wil G

My first kayak, but a lot of canoe experience. I chose this kayak as a compromise. I wanted something more than the standard rec boat, but didn't need an ocean going clipper ship type. The Manitou WORKS. It is light and small enough to easily throw on and off the top of my bronco, yet is capable of weekend trips. It is truly a good compromise. For $600, you can't beat it, no way.

The boat can also take a beating. I have run it over lots of submerged logs, a few hard landings, and been careened off a number cypress trees in the black water systems I am usually in. None of this did anything to the Manitou.

Only one complaint - the Extrasport seating system. This is a real Rube Goldberg system. The ratchet adjusters kept knocking on my knees, and there were far more adjustments than I would need. I have been working on re-doing that set up. So far I have removed the ratchets.

The boat has earned my confidence. I would have given it a 10/10, but for that seat system.