Submitted: 07-11-2005 by 3851

I bought a used kevlar Spirit II about two years ago. After 30 years of paddling I decided I was too old to continue lifting heavy boats on to a roof rack. I use the boat for a mixture of day trips on flat water and estuary paddling in Southwest Florida (mangroves and twisting tidal creeks). Prior to paddling the Spirit I had a Sawyer X17 which my wife and I paddled for many years. Before the Sawyer an aluminum canoe provided transport. I find the Spirit II to be ideal for my purposes. It accelerates to speed with just a few strokes and will maintain a cruising speed with moderate effort. It also is maneuverable in tight tidal creeks, a must for us. Recently my boat flew off the top of my truck as I was traveling on an interstate at around 70 mph. Although the boat was quite scraped up it survived with a few ugly scrapes in the gel coat and a snapped rail which was easily repaired. The kevlar layup is light and tough. I am a harsh critic generally but I urge anyone thinking about a canoe to check out a kevlar Spirit II.