Submitted: 06-21-2005 by pgwilli

I have received several inquiries related to my earlier review, so I need to post an update. I ended up sending the unit back.

As far as a loading unit, the Hullavator worked well. I made the job of loading our double on our Subaru easy.

The trouble was how it carried the load. The way the Hullavator works is your load bars must extend at least 4" outboard of their mounts. The cradles actually extend a little beyond that. Instead of balancing the boat on the centerline of your vehicle, it carries it out over the side of the car several inches.

It doesn't make for the most aerodynamic setup. It felt like the kayak, which weighs 95 pounds, was pulling the car sideway. Having that much weight up high is bad enough, but it behaves much better centered on the direction of travel. It also raised the load about 4-5 inches above the load bars and actually had quite a bit of play or wiggle.

I have decided to go back to foam covering the load bars like I use with my singles. With the foam set up I will be able to carry the boat on the centerline of my car and reduce the height and "wiggle".

Your experience may be different, but it just didn't work out for my boat/car combo.