Submitted: 06-14-2005 by gbh

My 12ft Old Town pack canoe update. I bought a 2nd pack and left this one unmodified. I also own a third canoe a Souris River 18ft Wilderness, which I use for BWCAW trips and threesomes. My two packs fit great upside down in the 6 -1/2 ft long pickup truck box, which has a fiberglass topper. This gives me a total of 24 ft of canoe or 800 lbs of max floatation. An adult on the main seat with a Coleman back rest and a 1 inch thick closed foam hunting seat plus a young adult can sit on a throwable life preserver and a closed cell foam pad for a thwart backrest in the bow -- the low center of gravity in the bow gives you a more stable primary float. I use this dual canoe setup for up to four, e.g., two adults and two 12 year olds. We fish or sightsee, depending on the plan for the day.

I also prefer a longer bend paddle (12 degrees), I use a grey owl brand, and I feel it give me more speed, endurance, and steering control. If the front paddler wants to help paddle, I give them a youth size straight paddle and which I can also carry as a backup paddle. I figure 2 to 3 dips per side and control force will keep you on track to your chosen shore landmark, I do not use the j-stroke. I have paddled with current on 128 miles of the Mississippi River and maintained full control, even during one flood level stage. I like my packs 33 lbs weight and it portability, meaning no trailer. I recommend it for the purpose it is used for, after work fun.