Submitted: 06-08-2005 by Ben Gosvig

We purchased two NC 17 Overnighter kayaks about a month ago, or my wife and me. These are the lighter glass layups, which I recommend. My wife and I both previously enjoyed whitewater kayaking, but are relative newbies to sea kayaking. We therefore spent considerable time researching kayaks, and finally settled upon Novus Composites for these vessels.

We've been thoroughly delighted with our choice. The NC's have remarkable tracking ability (without external rudder or skeg), nimble action and they rarely weathercock. Our kayak instructor (who paddles a Necky) tried our boats and was impressed with the lightness, speed and stability.

By purchasing direct from Greg and the guys at NC in Tacoma, you achieve pricing that can't be touched by mfgrs who go through dealers. The dealer's margin is yours. Greg at NC was fabulous to deal with. I couldn't make it down to Tacoma to pick-up our finished boats, so he drove them to us in Bellingham.

The finish on the boats is beautiful. Greg allowed us to select custom colors, with two-tone fades. Everyone comments on the striking appearance.

I've since tried other fiberglass and Kevlar boats (most at nearly twice the price). All have noteworthy merits, but I wouldn't trade our NC's for any of them.

I don't consider myself an expert, but I'd recommend these kayaks to anyone. They are a remarkable deal for a top-tier boat, and the people at NC are solid straight-shooters.