Submitted: 05-23-2005 by maximadude

Wife and I paddle Prijons. Catalina and Calabria. We rented a third kayak recently to accommodate a guest. Ended up with a brand new Old Town Dirigo. I had the honours. Good quality plastic, excellent seating system with cool adjustable lumbar system. Boat is rather on the heavy side, displaces a lot of water, thus paddles a bit like a tub compared to what I am used to. It does track relatively straight, especially when going into, or alternately down small rapids. Trouble is, despite being the strongest paddler in our threesome, there was no way I could, despite by hardest strokes, keep up with the Prijons. They paddled with ease and left me far behind. Not a boat for readily covering any distances. Not a lot of glide and no feeling of "lightness". Would not recommend for even those planning extended day trips, unless you plan to not cover too much distance.