Submitted: 05-16-2005 by gbn2

I waited quite a few months to post my review of the Q700X because I wanted to experience a variety of conditions. I now feel confident to say this is one great buy if you're looking for a fast, well-made kayak.

I'm 59 years old, and the Q700X has never felt unstable or tricky. On flat water it can zip along at well over 6 mph for an hour or more. I recently raced mine in a 30-mile downriver race on the Eel River and it was the first kayak to finish, just minutes behind many of the surf skis (and beat a few). Felt secure at all times. I don't know if it's as fast as the highly-touted Epic 18, but I'd like to find out.

Build quality seems great, and Phil responded immediately to questions and a minor issue with a rudder cable. I have a number of kayaks that I use for various situations, but for speed the Q700X is the pick.

Katadyn: