Submitted: 05-06-2005 by choire_dog

This is my tenth canoe so I can compare it with plenty of others. Most of the compliments mentioned by other reviewers are valid, but there are some downsides too. I have never had a canoe that was so flexible (mine is RX) and it oil cans so severely that when in the water its hull shape is nothing like the factory spec!! It is better loaded in this respect for the weight of the load holds the bottom of the hull in place to a certain extent. But it still oil cans!

For a 17' canoe in RX it is light, but this must be due to the royalex being so thin. (Try comparing hull stiffness with, say a NovaCraft 17') The RX also seems very soft, as is wearing at an alarming rate compared to my other boats.

The gunwales are great: narrow yet very solid, as are the seat hangers, though I angled the seats just a little to improve kneeling comfort.

The yoke is just too light weight, I exchanged mine for a deep dish type, more comfort, more strength, more weight, more cost. Usual trade offs.

Basically I'm happy enough with it for what I use it for, but wouldn't buy one again. I'd trade weight for a stiffer hull.