Submitted: 04-25-2005 by deepwateratl

I love this boat!! This is my second canoe and I am in true love with it. First, the cons; it really is heavy. I'm about 180lbs and it still can surprise me if the weight shifts while roof rack mounting it. I have a Pathfinder and it can be quite a pain to mount it the roof when solo, but once you figure out a system for doing this, it's not so bad. Also on a windy day the boat acts as a sail to a crosswind.

Almost impossible to track straight with a serious crosswind. Tracks quite well on calm days. She ain't fast, but that's not the purpose of this canoe. Other than that, this boat is perfect. I have gone down rivers (the fastest was the Chattahoochie in ATL) and I have been on several lakes for camping trips in it. Works perfectly for both.

It's a tank. Seriously. I personally paddle mine like I hate it and she just won't die. I've hit trees, rocks, other boats, rocks and some rocks and never has it even begun to show any signs of stress. I have had 3 full large 48qt coolers in it on a lake trip (I was acting as a ferry for our gear on a recent camping trip) with another person in the bow and the water line was still well below the gunwales. Still very stable also, and that's with about 550lbs in it!! I'm impressed!

I fish from it, and yes, I stand to cast. No issues on tipping. In fact, if you do tip this boat, you may want to consider a new hobby. But, due to this increased stability, it handles like the tank it is. Remember how I said I hit so many rocks? That's not because I'm a bad paddler, I just couldn't get out of the way! But who cares? You can't kill this thing. Go on, hit the rocks, it won't mind a bit.

So for anyone who is getting into canoeing for the first time and wants a boat that will allow you a very lenient learning curve, or for someone who needs stability for carrying gear of fishing, this is a great canoe for you. I would also recommend it to those who want a canoe for families since it's plenty stable for smaller children. Thank you Old Town!!

Squid Anchor: