Submitted: 04-12-2005 by Mathias

I first wanted to buy this canoe WAY back in 1990 when Backpacker magazine did a review of a bunch of tandem canoes and spoke very highly of this one. Of course, I had to carefully research the other boats out there... only to come full circle in '93 when the Mrs. and I finally scraped the funds together to special-order one. That way, we got the sliding bow seat, which I highly recommend.

The boat is as fast as a Mad River Malecite; it oil cans less than a Wenonah Adirondack; it works GREAT with a kid when paddled backwards from the bow seat; paddled solo, it outruns an Old Town Pathfinder with two paddlers... all of these are experimental results. I'd buy it again in a heartbeat.

My other boat is a 'glass Sawyer Cruiser, and it is in a different class speed-wise, but when we go somewhere we haven't been before, or for any kind of questionable condition, the Penobscot gets the nod. It sounds cliché, but if you can have only one boat to do everything...