Submitted: 03-14-2005 by DavidARobinson

I have owned a Loon 138 for about five years. Have used it extensively for about three years. The comfort with the tall back rest and wide seat is great.

It's fantastic for lakes, slow moving rivers and tidal streams. I paddle tidal inlets and back backs bays with no problems. I even paddled the Delaware Bay a mile off shore in three foot chop. It is NOT designed for the ocean and I personally would not take it there. It has great stability and moderate speed. My one regret is the cockpit is completely open. If you tip, pray that you are in shallow water. The kayak might submerge about a foot below the surface without flotation. Always use flotation bags in open water, which take up space. I had a dealer install a rear hatch and he could not figure out how to make front and rear bulkheads. The kayak is heavy at 56 pounds empty, and the plastic is showing gouge marks from scraping on rocks, boat ramps and gravel parking lots. This kayak will handle the weight, I am 320 and my gear another 20 pounds. Fantastic kayak for beginners, as a loaner, or your mother in law.

NOCQUA Adventure Gear: