Submitted: 12-15-2004 by mantyak

With the relatively short season to train in upstate NY, one needs to take every chance to get in shape whenever possible. This is the case if one kayaks to compete or recreate. The SpeedStroke erg is an outstanding device to workout with. The only thing missing is the wind, wet and cold hands and feet, and running to your vehicle to warm-up prior to putting your kayak on the rack! Rather than just staying in good aerobic or strength shape during the winter it provides extremely specific training for kayakers. I know this year I will not have to spend anywhere near the length of time I have had to spend developing base miles in the kayak.

Using the Paddle Monitor software available through KayakPro allows one to personally coach oneself. The data are depicted in an extremely usable form so that one could work on technique and train without having the benefit of a coach or even training partner. The software program is sufficiently engaging enough to easily allow me to pass the time while I get in 5 - 10k on the erg.

Whenever I had a problem, calling the folks at KayakPro got me excellent service, especially at getting things up and running when I first got the erg.