Submitted: 11-08-2004 by c2g
The Cirrus is a stitch-and-glue kayak that is built from plans. There are two deck options when you purchase the plans: 1. A stitch and glue deck, or 2. A woodstrip deck. No kits were available as of the time of this review. Normally I would prefer to get more time in a boat before reviewing it, but since several people have asked about this boat and there are no other reviews, I'm going to write up my initial impressions.

The boat handles well for me (at 240 lbs) in a range of conditions. I've paddled it in dead calm, a light breeze (5-10 mph), and in 20-25 mph winds with closely spaced 12-18" waves. Initial stability was good. Secondary stability was very strong. The boat tracked well in all conditions, but not so strongly that it was a chore to maneuver. In 20 to 25 mph winds it showed just the barest hint of an inclination to weathercock. This was hardly noticeable and was easily corrected with slight edging or an occasional sweep stroke. The boat was comfortable in winds from all directions and in waves from all directions. Moderate course corrections were easily made with a sweep stroke or mild edging. Strong edging and a brace bring the boat around quite quickly. Cockpit size is generous. I have not checked my speeds with a GPS, but the boat moves along at a comfortable pace with minimal paddler effort.

Advanced Elements: