Submitted: 10-24-2004 by paddlingnettjb
I had some paddling experiences with the Q700X this summer and wasn't blown away. These experiences ranged from calm water paddles of about 10 miles each to a 25 mile open water crossing in Lake Michigan in more challenging wind/waves. Some observations: (1) The boat (without a rudder or skeg) behaved somewhat oddly in the wind, weather- cocking to an angle about 20 degree from the direction of the wind; (2) there is a lot of wasted space between the end of the footpegs and the front bulkhead; and (3) it didn't seem that much faster than my humble Prijon Kodiak. A major concern was the velcro strapping over the hatches. I had tucked a spare paddle under these straps and pushed off into 2-4 foot surf. When a wave washed over the front it caught the paddle, the velcro straps gave way and my front hatch popped off. There I was in the surf zone with an open front hatch. Not a good situation.

In sum, I'm puzzled why this kayak gets such adulation. It seems like it is structurally sound and it certainly has the dimensions of a fast boat. But it is not a perfect "10" by any means.