Submitted: 10-18-2004 by kayakangler

I purchased the Penobscot 16 about 3 months ago after doing a lot of research and review reading. I wanted to get back into canoeing after being a kayaker for a number of years. This was an excellent purchase. I've really enjoyed using this canoe both tandem and solo and my kayak hasn't seen much water since I got the Penboscot 16. With its shallow arch hull a novice paddler might feel the initial stability is lacking (it isn't). It is a bit twitchy when you are sitting still and my bowman never fails to get startled when I'm digging for a soda in the cooler. But within a few minutes it all feels natural. The secondary stability feels rock solid, works very well when you are traveling across a wave tossed lake. This canoe tracks quite well and can cover distance quickly with two paddlers. It will hold quite a bit of cargo. I actually prefer to use this canoe solo. It seems to be more stable and tracks even better as a solo, sitting backward in the bow seat. At 58 lbs. it's not too bad to portage, adding pads to the yoke helps tremendously and I find I can portage comfortably this way. The Penobscot 16 is a good all around canoe one you can enjoy on lakes or rivers, solo or tandem, day-tripping or camping. No wonder they've been making them for 30 years.