Submitted: 10-18-2004 by kayakangler

I have wanted a solo canoe for quite a while. The Pack and a Mohawk Solo 14 were the two I was most interested in. I came across a used Pack at an excellent price and I snapped it up. I've had it a bit over a month and have really enjoyed it. I got it primarily for the light weight and ease of handling. When I go solo it's much easier to cartop and portage than my Penobscot or Loon, I just carry it over my shoulder. I had expected this little canoe to be relatively tippy with only a 32" beam but find it incredibly stable. Initial stability is excellent and its secondary stability is quite good. I can hold the canoe on its side near the gunwale quite easily from either the sitting or kneeling position. It is a highly maneuverable canoe. I've paddled it with both a single blade and a double. I prefer the single, though it means slow going and the canoe doesn't track as well. A double blade improves its speed and tracking significantly. I was using my 230 cm kayak paddle and found the paddle drips inside the boat annoying. A longer paddle would definitely help and I'll probably get a 240 cm or 250 cm just for this little canoe as it does respond much better with the double blade. With a 400 lb. capacity I can take along all I want for long day trips and fishing expeditions. It does oil can a little and the bilge flexes a bit with water flowing under the hull. Overall, this is a fun and easy to paddle little canoe. Great for exploring out of the way waters and fishing trips.