Submitted: 08-30-2004 by Steve

I bought this boat about 4 months ago based on these reviews and I am a very happy customer. I was looking for a canoe that could do just about anything I asked of it. It had to be light enought to load on top of the car by myself, tough enough to handle scraping over rocks, able to carry all our camping equipment and then some, fairly quick and straight tracking. It also had to be a relatively stable fly fishing platform, able to handle occasional class II whitewater, and double as either a tandem or solo canoe. The Penobscot 16 does all those things and it looks great doing it. The gold leaf "old school" graphics give the canoe a very classic look, I can't help but to think to myself every time I see it pulled up on the beach, "man, that is one nice looking canoe!" The only gripe I have is the fact that the initial stability is a little shakey, but not bad. However the secondary stability is excellent. Like the reviewer before me stated, you can lean it over until water spills over the gunwale and bring back up again. Try that with a flat bottom boat and it will most likely capsize. Overall the Penobscot 16 is a very versatile and great all-around canoe with classic looks that won't break the bank.

Thunder Bay Tourism: