Submitted: 04-01-2004 by mspurrie

Have had my Guide for two years. Use it mostly as a solo canoe, I'm a big guy, 6'2" 360, I have had no trouble with oil canning, and have been very pleasantly surprised at it's speed and handling. The hull material is very tough, and has held up well through some very tough use (We paddle a lot of small quick streams and creeks that in some cases haven't been paddled since before WWII, lots of dragging over fallen trees, over gravel bars, paddling over small dams,etc.)

My only complaint is that the seats are too high, and it tends to be tippy on small technical streams and in rapids. I have remedied this by lowering the seats about four inches, six inches on the seat I use for solo paddling. If paddling solo from near center of canoe, I strongly recomend using 9' double bladed canoe paddle (available from Mohawk). With forty inch width at gunnels, using single paddle from center is a bit difficult.

This is a very versatile canoe, and for the price, it would be extremely difficult to beat.

Backwater Paddle Company: