Submitted: 11-03-2003 by csnider
I have had my Tempest 165 Roto for several months now. Best outfitting of any kayak on the market period thanks to it's whitewater cousins at Wave Sport, which have the best outfitting on the market. Easy to roll with or w/o a paddle, handles beam winds nicely and is a joy to paddle. I always love the sweeping proclamations made by paddlers reviewing a particular model who will rate the carrying capacity of a kayak as good for a weekend only, or one week only or two weeks only and so on. I just completed a 4 week trip down the Noatak River in Alaska in a Feathercraft Kahuna, which most so called reviewers rate as good for a maximum weekend touring boat. The only difference in my experience between a weekend trip and two weeks or more is the amount of fuel and food you will need to carry. Unless one is making a fashion statement, you will need the same amount of basic gear (tent, sleeping bag, stove, appropriate clothing for conditions, etc.) for a two day or a two week trip. The Tempest 165 can certainly handle long trips if my 14 ft. 9 inch Kahuna handled all my gear for 4 weeks.