Submitted: 07-15-2003 by jhyoung

I've owned my Breeze for about 8 months now and have found it stable, maneuverable, and easy to paddle. It has nice rigging, adequate stowage space, but maybe not the most comfortable seating there is. I began paddling about 1 1/2 years ago in an old used Aquaterra Chinook NW, which is a good deal longer and somewhat narrower than the Breeze. So naturally the Breeze is slower than that Chinook, but not as much slower as I expected it to be. And the little bit that's lost in speed is more than made up for in maneuverability.

As far as tracking goes, it seems to me that CD has hit on a good solution--they've provided a jam cleat where you can park the topside rudder cable and thus keep the dropped rudder in a constant position, so it behaves somewhat like a skeg to improve tracking. Alternately, you can leave the rudder cable alone if you just want to use the rudder normally or not at all. I personally don't find the tracking to be that bad even w/o the rudder, but I'm still something of a novice paddler, so perhaps not as demanding on this score as some more experienced folks.

I use my Breeze in intracoastal waters such as protected bays and sounds, and on flatwater rivers and bayous. It's a particularly good design for the twisty-turny, canopied rivers and bayous near my home in NW Florida. I could wish for a forward hatch instead of the flotation bag, but the stern hatch is adequate for day touring. I'd also like a more comfortable seat, though the seat back is close to being just right in height, padding, and adjustability.

That said, I enjoy my Breeze enormously, and, being a teacher (and thus without summer employment), I've paddled it almost every day since the end of the spring semester.