Submitted: 07-07-2003 by Paula

After many years of no kajakking due to studies, kids and career priorities, I found I missed the sport. So I went hunting for a kayak that was suitable for the climate, the rough surfaces of the few beaches I can access; one that was fast enough and manoeuvrable. I also wanted a boat that could take me AWAY from it all for more that a weekend. After some search I found the Tempest 170 with skegg. I remember how many times I got irritated by the rudder in my old kayak; I had 2 Nordkapps 20 years ago, one with a type 4 rudder and the other with a 'skegg like' rudder. I liked the one with the skegg best.

The Tempest fits me perfectly, I am 176 cm tall and I have long legs so the knee pads here are great! The seat is comfortable; the cockpit's opening large and safe to get out of. This boat has 3 compartments and all kept my stuff dry after rolling training in the sea. The boat I bought is orange so I can be easily spotted in the dark waters of the fjords...

I tried my Tempest in rough sea, which is, by my standards 2.5 meter waves. I did not even feel it! The Tempest is stable and easily manoeuvred in these conditions... The Tempest is made of Polyethylene, which makes it stronger against rough surfaces, although it is about 5 kg heavier than the lightest glass-fibre boats (28 kg against 22 kg). Here, in the western coast of Norway, there are many rocks and hard surfaces to 'land' on, so I did not want to repeat the worries I had with the old glass-fibre boats I had previously. If you want challenge, fun, speed, elegance, lots of carrying space, dependability and a boat that can turn around on a quarter, the Tempest 170/skegg is your Beast of Burden!