Submitted: 06-19-2003 by harpcycle

We purchased Prijon kayaks about a year ago after trying several different models/makes. We wanted plastic boats because of the areas we like to launch/land at. First, the Prijon plastic system really impressed us. Looking at older Prijons we didn't notice any of the oil-canning that seemed evident on most other used plastic boats. The stiffness of the deck seemed to be retained even in older boats.

Kodiak - I am 6'4", 220 lbs, size 14 feet. The Kodiak fits. With the footpegs on the last holes my knees pop nicely under the thigh hooks. I can only wear neoprene booties with a thin sole though. The cockpit is big enough where I can lift my knees one at a time to stretch. Getting in bottom first then tucking my legs in doesn't work real well because of my long legs.

The boat weighs 57.5 lbs empty. I can pick it up and use the cockpit/shoulder carry method comfortably. The stern toggle is too close to the rudder to be comfortable. The hatches are watertight and well designed. The neoprene covers are difficult to get on and off. The rudder mechanism works very well. The deployment line is a bit farther back toward the stern than I like and I have long arms. The gas pedal foot controls allow strong braces and sensitive trimming of the rudder.

The boat edges nicely although the limit is elusive. It takes seas on the bow or stern well. It weather cocks enough that I would rather rely on the rudder than edging and correcting. The seat and backband are "okay." They adjust easily but aren't real comfortable. I would like to adapt the Wilderness Systems' Phase III seating, but haven't yet.

The deck netting works pretty well. The forward net should extend back closer to the cockpit. The rear net is effective for carrying "stuff" but isn't great for holding a paddle blade during a self rescue. The cross straps on the hatches work well for holding spare paddles. The D-Rings are very useful. The boat accelerates and glides well considering its design. It is comfortable to paddle and I could carry a month's supply of "stuff" into it.

Witz Sport Cases: