Submitted: 11-27-2002 by Jim

The Q700XL is my second QCC kayak. I also own a Q400XL. This 700 is kevlar with carbon reinforcement and came outfitted with the excellent new Sealline rudder system. It weighs 49-50lbs. Not bad for an 18ft. boat.

Customer Service: QCC Kayaks has the best customer service and support I've ever experienced. Steve and Phil are a delight to work with. More specifically, Roadway damaged my Q700 during shipping. (What cretin dockworker would stand a 20ft. box on its end in the terminal when the box clearly states fragile, this side up, do not stack, kayak? DUH!) QCC's immediate response is to, build me a replacement Q700, encourage me to use the damaged 700 until the new one arrives, and take care of dealing with Roadway and the shipping costs. WOW.

Fit and Finish: Superb, as in, no flaws. Extra touches like recessed VKV deck fittings and a molded paddle park aft of the cockpit are great. Inside, no drips, runs, or sags The boat is eye-candy. It's just fun to look at!

Performance: This is not a boat for a novice paddler, but for perspective, I'm just finishing my second season of paddling and really love the way the 700 handles. I had no trouble paddling it to 6.5mph...it's got tremendous glide and turns very quickly with minor lean. The 700 is very comfortable and the Rapid Pulse touring seat is just excellent. It's very sensitive and responsive to paddler input which very quickly creates the feel that the 700 is an extension of yourself. As sensitive as it is, it's completely predictable, too. For those of you who roadbike, think high end Tomassini, Bianchi, etc.

Summary: I feel like I'm just sitting in and paddling other boats. I feel like I'm wearing the Q700XL. This is one fun ride and the quality is high end all the way. It will truly put a smile on your face.