Submitted: 11-08-2002 by krwahl63
I bought the Yukon from Folbot during their summer sale. The construction is spectacular, it is easy to set up, and has plenty of room for myself and my stuff. It is built for the bigger guy (although I am on the small end of the big guy range... 6' and 190 pounds).

She is being used for a combination usage between the Conencticut River and Long Island Sound. Since some of the power boats on the river tend to squat in the stern (read that as poor trim) as they go by, I have had some ample testing in heavy sea and cross chop conditions. She handles these well. Also the steady swells on the sound are taken with grace... she floats on top like a duck... no burying of the bow... no broaching.

Tracking is spectacular. Point her at a bearing target and she goes.

I ordered her as the expedition package which is just smart economics... for a few dollars more, you get the emergency repair package, deck rigging, and rudder.

I researched a great deal before buying this kayak and I can categorically state that many of the conjecture about folders and this type of folding kayak in particular may be called myths. The rudder is suggested for ease of use, yes, but I can make similar turns with the paddle and leaning. Body English is easily used in this vessel and is useful when taking a wave broadside. "Speed" is not an issue... departing Hamburg Cove into the heavy traffic area of the Connecticut River the other day, I left a series of hard shells of a variety of materials and design in the dust without trying... and when it came to putting the "Post Toasties" into the stroke to cross the channel, they did not even come close.

The only criticism I had is that I bought and Aleut for my signicant other. The boats came un-labeled in their packaging and figuring what went where the first time around was painful (two sizes with similar boats). That said, when I informed the people at Folbot, the president sent his own personal note about how they would remedy that problem in the future.

A great portable kayak that is fantastic for someone ready to indulge in the sport seriously.

Space Trailers :