Submitted: 04-18-2002 by G. Baldwin

I just took up kayaking with my new girlfriend; and, at 218#, wanted a wider, more stable kayak for my first endeavor. Demo'd several and picked the Drifter. All in all, I am happy with my choice. Very stable in rolling water, like close offshore in Florida, and quicker than I would have thought on flat water. the "slap" of small waves under the bow is a minor annoyance. The biggest negative is how much water collects in the seat area. Even with Scupper plugs crammed in as hard as possible, paddle drips collect at the seat, so you get a puddle. I find the O.K. molded seat raises you a little above the puddle. In closing, it's a little "chubby" for quiet river touring, and I plan to get a 2nd kayak for that purpose; but for offshore and bays, it's quite confidence-inspiring to know you're unlikely to go for a swim. And, getting back onboard after, say, snorkeling, is a breeze for a beginner. I recommend the Drifter, scupper stoppers rammed home with a dowel or fat screwdriver, and a pair of water-repellant shorts!