Submitted: 01-23-2002 by GBH

I customized my Royalex 12 ft old town pack canoe by making a wood bow passenger seat with woven nylon webbing and doing a factory mount. My 8-year-old grandson sits there. You do have to be careful if using a single paddle not to splash the bow passenger's back. On the center factory seat I mounted an aluminum plate with a "Wise" folding plastic chair bolted to it, with the thin padding on the back and seat. We have gone up to BWCA 2 times in this configuration, we stay for 3 nights. I weight 190 lbs and my grandson 90lbs. The portaging is a bit difficult, I fold and snap strap the seat, I rest seat edge on my life preserver. Our gear is stuffed in an East German army duffle bag with shoulder straps, upright in the stern and the rest in cascade river clear plastic tube bags. The lightweight and shallow draft has made this my favorite niche canoe. I use it extensively for fishing and paddling on city lakes. I do not care for the oil canning, but that is my trade off. I have gone 120 miles on the Mississippi river in it, I do trust it's stability and have not yet dumped, although I did lower the center seat to improve stability. I recommend it for it's convenience and for after workday fun.

New York Kayak Co.: