Submitted: 09-04-2001 by Barry Page

My wife and I recently did a 'shootout' to determine which boats to buy. We tested an OK Scrambler XT, Perception Swing and the Spike. After our first round of testing (the OK and the Swing) were keener on the Swing. Then we tried the Spike... The first two are real clunkers compared to the Spike! The OK is slow, the Swing tracks like an arrow but refuses to turn without an argument, whereas the Spike seemed to be better in all aspects. We tested all the boats with a 20kg 4-year-old both behind (in the tankwell) and between the knees. With the extra weight, the Spikes primary stability actually improved. Obviously traveling 2-up in a 1-man boat is not a long trip proposition but was important to us with 2 young kids who like to be part of the action. After testing, I can see why people opt for the OKs and Perception - because they feel stable. But primary stability is not necessarily such a cool thing when you get into chop or waves. Recommendation to anyone except resorts - go with the Spike. I have to give this a 10 to emphasize how much better it is than its competition - most giving the Scrambler XT an 8+ and the Perception Swing a 9. Also thanks to Warren Glaser from this bulletin board for his very helpful assistance.