Submitted: 08-21-2001 by envyabull

Note: This is a supplement to a previous review I posted about the Q700X.

Last weekend I paddled my Q700X to victory in my first kayak race! It was a 15 miler around Jamestown Island in Rhode Island. This was my first time paddling in Narragansett Bay and was surprised at the variety of conditions. We left the beach through 3 foot breakers, rounded the first rocky corner in confused swells then headed North for 6 miles into a solid knot of adverse current mixed with lots of power boat wake. The winds were always at the beam requiring constant corrective steering, but no rudder. Needless to say, no records were set that day. However, the Q700X performed flawlessly in all conditions. Despite this being only my second season of paddling and competing against many veterans including some locals, I managed to beat my nearest competitor by about five minutes in the men's division of the composite class. While I implemented a solid strategy to avoid the strongest adverse currents, which others soon followed, I believe my boat was the secret weapon. With its long waterline, narrow beam, and lightweight Kevlar construction, the Q700X was the right tool for the job. With a QCC kayak I can't blame my boat for a poor race, however I'm all too happy to personally take credit for a win!

By the way, the thrill of my victory was shared by another competitor who currently awaits delivery of his Q700X. I'm sure my performance erased any doubts he might have had about ordering a QCC kayak online. So I will have at least one other Q700X to compete with at the next race. While I love to see other paddlers discover the benefits of John Winter's efficient hull design, if word continues to get out and other racers trade in their slow boats for a QCC, I may have to start training harder to remain competitive!