Submitted: 07-16-2001 by Fern

This is a nicely outfitted sea kayak in plastic, with adequate deck rigging and hatches fore and aft that have remained dry in the several outings I've taken so far. A lever controls the rudder, which is a nice feature. However, it's a little awkward to get at, and I'd like to see it brought forward a bit for easier access. The Storm handles well overall and turns more easily than my 15 foot Wilderness Systems Cape Horn. It does have a tendency to weathercock on open water in a stiff wind, but-in all fairness-I have not had the boat loaded with gear in the time I've owned it, which could affect performance. On the other hand, the high deck gives a dry ride in rougher seas. (By comparison, a Dagger Atlantis I demoed on the same day in stiff wind left me soaking wet.) The cockpit is roomy, making it a good choice for larger paddlers and allows easy entry and exit. I removed the thigh braces from mine; at 5'7", they did not feel comfortable for me. After reading numerous reviews about the boat's tendency to oil can, I was a bit skeptical about buying a Storm. I contacted Current Designs and told them of my concerns about their plastic oil canning and scratching easily. They assured me that changes had been made (I believe in 2000) to stiffen the hull and make the plastic more durable. So far, the boat has scratched only lightly, and has not shown signs of oil canning, even when strapped on the vehicle for extended periods.