Submitted: 07-03-2001 by Clyde Osterhout

Last Fall I bought an older (1972) 15 foot Grumman standard model, as the five of us no longer all fit comfortably in my Grumman Eagle. The smaller model has all of the positive traits of its bigger sibling: good stability, lasts forever, has a good capacity, is easy to handle. It also has the same less desireable traits: it is slow, noisy, and is a bit too wide for easy paddling. For families, tough, it is great. My kids (ages 13, 10 and 6) can manage it just fine by themselves. Even the dog likes it. I have found that it is also very easy to paddle solo, sitting backwards in the bow seat (needs a cushion, though, because otherwise the bow thwart gets in teh way. I've got a sail kit for it, which I am anxiously waiting to try out. It motors just fine with a trolling motor, as well. Another good all-around canoe that does everything well enough.