Submitted: 03-30-2001 by Fireman

I just got back from a 72 acre lake where I spent the afternoon paddling my new OT119K for the first time. I must say is a very fun little boat. I agree with comments that it is a little unstable at first. I test paddled it for 20 minutes or so, and I felt fairly comfortable. I then went back and retrieved my fishing rod and began fishing. A hour of fishing and I was quite well adjusted to the "tippyness" of the boat. Two hours later, the boat and I had become one. When considering this boat, keep in mind that it is a low cost recreational solo boat.

CONS: The length is 11'9" long which is shorter that the more serious solo boats on the market, and it doesn't sit real deep in the water. It isn't very good at tracking, and is prone to catch the wind. The build of the boat and the seat height make it a little tippy with out much secondary stability.

PROS: The boat is low cost, aprox. $549 retail, which makes it much more affordable than some of the true soloing boats on the market. It is very light and has good car topping ability. I glides smoothly across the water and is very quite. A little work and practice, this boat becomes predictable. I found it to be a joy to fish out of rather than my kayak which is just not designed for fishing at all. Most importantly, this boat is FUN.

If you are looking into a fun little soloing canoe to mess around in and maybe even fish out of, it is great. If you looking for the performance of a top dollar full lenth canoe or kayak, you won't find it here. Take it for what it is designed for, cheap fun.

Also, remember that new Polylink 3, Royalex, and other synthetic canoes are very different from the old Grummond aluminum canoes that rental places provide. When making that step, keep an open mind and spend time learning the virtues of your new synthetic boats. Once you take that time, you will certainly apreciate the fine finesse, performance and speed these boats have.