Submitted: 02-19-2001 by Jerry

I purchased my Chesapeake 17 used. It is equipped with a rudder. The boat weathercocks rather badly without the rudder but with the rudder handles quite well. This is a high-volume boat and even though I am 200 pounds and typically carry 30 pounds or more of gear for day paddles it is plenty big for me. If I were building one of their boats I would (at my weight) get either the 16 foot Chesapeake or the lower-volume 17 LT. I am building a competing brand of kit kayak right now and I like the competition's construction techniques better. The Chesapeake has nails and has internal rails which hold the deck to the sides; the competition does not have either of these. Despite these minor criticisms, I have spent a lot of happy hours in my Chesapeake boat -- probably 40 trips (averaging about 10-12 miles) in 1.5 years.

Witz Sport Cases: