Submitted: 02-01-2001 by tketcham
Purchased as a solo alternative to my tandem expedition canoe, the Clipper Sea-1 sea canoe has become one of my favorite canoes. It's fast (easily keeps up with sea kayaks and fast solo canoes,) seaworthy, and comfortable. I didn't want a sea kayak - too cramped and I prefer a canoe paddle - but wanted a boat that could handle big waves and wind on lakes, the Columbia River, and the ocean. The Sea-1 does that and holds a mountain of gear. Comes with a foot-controlled rudder and optional spray cover, but I find that it tracks so well and is so seaworthy that I only use the rudder and cover for big wind or waves. My wife uses it when we paddle day trips; she can comfortably keep up with me (in a Wenonah Advantage) and if conditions get a bit rough she still feels confident paddling. It doesn't turn on a dime, is a bit tippy initially, and at 17'9" it's a big boat. But it paddles "smaller" that it appears, has solid secondary stability, and in the kevlar version weighs a reasonable 55 pounds. I find that I go out paddling instead of staying home in weather and conditions that I wouldn't paddle my Advantage. I haven't tried the Sea-1 out on the ocean yet, but if it handles like I think it will, I'd raise the rating to a 10.