Submitted: 10-23-2013 by Scot Whyte

We bought our Rack and Roll trailer 3 years ago. Everything about it has been as expected with one very frustrating exception: the wiring. We were heading out on a local kayaking excursion this spring when I noticed that when I touched the brakes the panel lights went out. We pulled over and discovered that the brake and turn lights were operating only intermittently if at all. So we headed home.

After a few frustrating weeks waiting for a new wiring harness, the local Yakima dealer spent a few hours repairing the wiring with success. The wiring harness then arrived and we kept it just in case. Well, guess what. Last week we loaded up to head out with the kayaks and found during a lights test (which I do every time now) that we have the same problem again. Another kayaking day that didn't happen. So I get out the wiring harness only to find that it is too short. Ok, but I thought I would plug it all in outside the trailer tongue to see if the new harness was going to be the fix. It isn't!! So here we are with a trailer that we don't trust and unknown problems.

The main problem is that we can't find ourselves rolling along the freeway at night or any other time with no brake or turn lights strictly from a safety point of view. The local dealer was quite helpful if ultimately unsuccessful in the repairs. Yakima less so. We'll see how this next experience is. I'm not hopeful.