Submitted: 10-11-2013 by 98roadking
Have had my Pack since 2007 - I knew to lower the seat and did so immediately with some copper tubing and longer bolts and nuts from Lowe's. I LOVE this boat after that!
Duck Hunting, camping, or just out for a paddle, the Lab and I are very comfy in the OT Pack. In/Out/over the sides, even bags of decoys and/or camping bags for days...it all fits great and paddles like a dream.

I use a sit-backer seat I got from LL Bean and a double bladed paddle 95% of the time. If it's just me and no camping gear, I usually load some weight in the front of the boat - water, etc...and it doesn't windcock.

I've had and sold off some of the best ideas the SOT world has come up with...I kept coming back to the OT PACK - now I don't even bother...me and my Pack canoe are a perfect match. I was SHOCKED at the 'end of Royalex' - I need to get another OT Pack as a backup for the next 30 years...the Guide is only 10 pounds heavier...but it doesn't paddle exactly like the Pack.

When my kids were younger, we sawed the legs off a plastic lawn chair and put them in the bow. Now it's just Lab's spot - she hangs out on a rubber suction cup shower mat, so she can get traction to pace and jump. It's just like a mini-van this canoe...it can be whatever you want it to be that day.
I rigged up an anchor trolley I can add, plastic crate for fishing stuff if that's the days activity, and when my wife just wants to go for a paddle, she sits up in the bow area on a short legged folding chair I bought for turkey hunting.

Hooking up a trolling motor to this boat seems terrible...but man!, is it ever fast and even with a 20 year old 30lb thrust motor...it runs all day with so much speed. Great for large bodies of water if I am trying to cross for fishing or hunting...or running miles up the river to get to a spot.

I also can't believe how FAST this canoe paddles (with a double blade) compared to the SOT kayaks...I can paddle all day with my buddies in the SOT's and usually have to slow for them.

In short - and to me - this is THE BEST value in all of the boat world!