Submitted: 08-16-2013 by Mark Sheeres

I have only two complaints which I will get out of the way first: I had to make my own custom seat to get something comfortable to sit on. The seat it came with was inadequate and actually left me quite sore on extended trips. Also, the front hatch could be bigger. When I build another one I'm going to customize that as well.

That being said, I LOVE my C17.
I have paddled literally hundreds of miles in Lakes Superior and Michigan carrying all of my camping gear on six (so far) backcountry camping expeditions of at least 5 days. Even fully loaded with 100 pounds of gear and my 200 pound body, I can easily maintain 3 miles per hour, hour after hour.

I also get lots of compliments on her looks. When I cross the border into or back from Canada, the border agents don't ask if I have firearms or tobacco, they ask, "Did you build that thing yourself?" I have not experienced the weathercocking problems that others described.

She is a BIG boat, best for big guys like me going on big expeditions. If you are 150 pounds and looking for an afternoon on the local lake, this is not the boat for you. But for who I am and what I use her for, she is perfect.