Submitted: 07-29-2013 by G.J.Y.

Based on the reviews on this page, I ordered a Spitfire 8 yesterday. Turns out the shipping warehouse was nearby. So, they allowed me to pick it up. I just had to take it out for a test spin and brought my fishing equipment with me.

Perfect. The little kayak performed much better than I thought it would. It is extremely stable (good for anyone not used to a kayak), easy to car top, and responds well to light paddle strokes. It tracks decently for a small boat, just about as good (or terribly) as other small, wide, plastic, recreational kayaks.

I purchased it as a family boat for playing at the beach or cottage, fishing on small lakes, drifting slow rivers, and playing in waves on the Great Lakes. I didn't get to wave-test it, but I think it's perfect for these uses. It is a very good fishing platform. I could easily reach my cargo items (the included bungee net is a great thing) and although I was out there only an hour, the seat arrangement is super comfortable!

I think it is a wonderful kayak, especially for the price. I'm giving it a 10/10 because I think it may be the best of the bunch in terms of very small, portable, stable, versatile, fun, and decently performing sit-on-top recreational kayaks. I may install some hip braces when it we use it as a wave surfer. Also, lime green is a great kayak colour!

Botetourt County Tourism: