Submitted: 07-27-2013 by RDR

Tried this tandem yak yesterday with my son at one of the local rental places. We paddled for two hours/@4.5 miles...he got tired and I paddled the last 1.75 miles back to the launch.

The Phase 3 Air Pro Tandem Seating System... excellent. No sore back or rump... going to see if I can retrofit this into my solo yak. The cockpit is the same size as the Perception Prodigy II 14.5' that I have used before. The padded thigh braces were very comfortable... and the slide-lock foot braces were easy to adjust. All of these items in the cockpit allowed my 6'-2"/280 lb. frame to fit very comfortably in the rear cockpit without my feet touching the front seat.

Tracking... very good once my son and I got into sync. Cuts through the water very nicely. When the boy's "paddle got tired" (he's nine), Dad had him stow it so it wasn't dragging. Paddling this tandem solo was not that bad... with his weight forward I was not swinging back and forth like a shorter solo.

One negative is that it did seem to roll more than the Prodigy II 14.5. Twice, in no wake areas, I had a wave roll over the left rear quarter and into the cockpit. This did not happen with the Prodigy II in the same river... although to be fair... the river was wider where I was with the Perception tandem.

I like this yak... if we add a tandem to the family fleet... right now... I'd choose this one.