Submitted: 07-26-2013 by moosetwo
My 2012 Solstice GTS Kevlar/fiberglass layup is my 4th kayak and my favorite. It is light at 48 lbs. I am 6'2" and weigh 180.

The cockpit is tight on entry and exit but just right while on the water. I find it very responsive and turns well with the rudder down and tracks well with the rudder up on calm water. I bought it because the lake that I live on gets windy producing whitecaps often and my shorter plastic kayaks were not doing well in rough water. I use them in the river where I often slide over rocks in shallow water not wanting to be concerned about damaging my expensive Kevlar Solstice.

The Solstice is fast and easy to paddle and quickly became my favorite when paddling alone. When paddling with friends I take my Jackson Journey 14 so that I do not run off and leave them behind complaining all day.

I rated it a 9 because the seat back could be more comfortable on long trips. I adjusted it constantly for the first few months and find that the lowest position works best for me but my back starts complaining about the two hour mark. The fit and finish is excellent, a work of art. The compartments stay dry. I have not experienced any leaks, even in high waves my gear stays dry.