Submitted: 07-18-2013 by scott

I had my maiden voyage on my new Discovery 119 today and I must say that it far exceeded my expectations. First I noticed how easy it was to get into off of the dock. No uneasy tippy feeling that so many other kayaks and canoes are plagued with when boarding. Upon paddling, I was instantly impressed with the primary stability, far better than any sit-in kayak I've paddled, and I've paddled lots. The speed and ease of paddling was wonderful, and it even had good glide for such a short boat. I was able to easily stand up and cast, and even use my paddle while standing like I was on a SUP.

I had lowered the rear of the seat 3/4 of an inch before launching, and it made the seat much better than expected after reading all the gripes about the seat. I only paddled for an hour, and this is my first solo canoe, but it is far more stable and paddles so much better than expected, that I can't see why anyone would want a more expensive canoe. I've paddled and Old Town Pack extensively, and with the exception of the 119 being heavier, it is better everywhere else for $600 less than the PACK. And FAR more stable.

Pelican Intl.: