Submitted: 05-29-2013 by MikeT77

I have owned my Guide 147 for roughly ten years now. I have used the boat everywhere from lakes while fishing to class I &II rapids. Can't say enough about the durability. Due to lack of storage out boat is stored outside year around. It has not faded or cracked. We have some pretty major scrapes and gouges from floating when the water was to low and they are all cosmetic. Nothing has come close to puncturing the hull.

I have only tipped this canoe 2 times in all the years I've owned it and both times were from hitting large rocks in fast moving but shallow water. I agree that due to the low sides you definitely take on some water when hitting the rapids but never enough to cause worry. If you're scared of getting wet then maybe you shouldn't be in a boat on the water in the first place.

I know there are fancier, lighter, possibly easier to handle canoes on the market. And those are great for all of the "professional" hardcore whitewater paddlers out there. But for a real family that needs a tough dependable boat that they can gets YEARS of enjoyment out of, the Guide is at the top of the list.