Submitted: 05-28-2013 by uk victim

point 65 kayaks have a bad reputation for quality and the XP 18 is the worst. My rudder broke off as have many other rudders broken off other owners XP 18s.
avoid this cheap toytown pretend sea kayak.

MANUFACTURER'S RESPONSE
I am well aware of this customers problem as he has posted criticism on numerous blogs the last few days. We were not given an opportunity by the customer to rectify this as he went ahead and repaired the kayak himself as well as posting online left and right. Only after I posted on these forums myself, urging him to contact me did he e-mail me and ask for cash compensation for his repair which I immediately granted, no questions asked. This had nothing to do with the internet postings but just how we work. The warranty might have expired or the kayak flying of the roof of a car. If possible, we try to help.

As to the problem, all rudders can break in surf or if subjected to extreme forces. I can't be certain of the circumstances surrounding this customers problem. It is surprising that he did not contact me directly if there was a manufacturing issue.

Having said that we did have problems with how the rudder sleeves where laminated into the kayak on some 2009-2010 models. We have identified the problem and the culprit in quality control and with the help of the serial number we can determine if a boat has this issue. It really has nothing to do with the nationality or race of the boatbuilder.

If you are the owner of a 2010-2011 XP18 don't hesitate to e-mail me at
richard.ohman(@)point65.se
or call me on my cell +46-70-7563326.
We have on site Swedish management and quality control personnel at our factory at all times checking each composite kayak thoroughly during and after the manufacturing process. I am proud to say that our team has succeeded and our built quality is at the absolute top of the industry.

If you have any further questions don't hesitate to contact me personally.

Happy Paddling!