Submitted: 05-06-2013 by Ed

I'm totally new to kayaking, and after seeing all kinds of makes and models for sale on Craigslist I started doing A LOT of research to educate myself! I considered getting a kayak from Costco but decided on the Old Town Vapor 10 after seeing it was very highly rated in reviews, reasonably priced (although slightly more than Costco), and relatively easy to transport with it's 10' length and overall light weight. I found a great deal for a new one online and placed my order...I was not disappointed.

Although I don't have anything to compare it to other then reading reviews of other kayaks, I have to say that this kayak has excellent performance. It's fairly easy to load and unload and to carry... it tracks straight, is easy to paddle, is very responsive, has a very large cockpit opening making it easy to enter and exit for a newby like me. Seems to be very durable, has a nice look, and my 15 year old son who didn't seem to care much about dad getting a kayak is now HOOKED!!! The only negative is that my back got sore after a recent 2 hour excursion, but the same thing has happened to me in different rental cars... I figure a good kayak cushion will help immensely.
* I recommend using a long paddle length due to the kayak width, I'm using a 243cm paddle (8'), I don't think I'd go much shorter than that

I rate this kayak very high, and am very happy with my purchase!!